BROULEE RUNNERS

BROULEE RUNNERS

Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 30, 2011

tenacity



A friend told me it's tenacity that gets one through the marathon .... she's absolutely right.

Here is a shot of Nev and I, taken just after the Bush Capital Marathon (yesterday). It seems a world away now. Only reminders are the sore muscles and the fabulous blood blister on my toe!


Weatherwise we had perfect running conditions. A very cold start (overnight was minus 7) with frosts and clear blue skies, resulting in a maximum of 15 degrees. The event started and finished at Campbell High School sportsfield, with the marathon commencing at 8.30 am. A very challenging and undulating run, which was well organised and full of friendly runners. A great event overall, one that I would highly recommend.

I had a great sleep the night before and was well rested for the run. I found the first 30 kms or so quite easy and enjoyed taking in the beautiful scenery on a perfect winter day. The next few kms became quite a struggle and I had to dig deep. Funny how the mind wanders during a long run and the self talk that goes on .... fortunately, by km 34 I was back on track and ready for the challenges of the hills ahead - the last 8 kms of the race I found the hardest, but at the same time, the most rewarding.


Knowing that the run was so challenging, I had hoped to finish under 4.30, even though my previous marathon PB was 3.38 on a flat course. I was absolutely thrilled with the finish time of 4.10.03. Still on cloud 9.


Thanks to everyone for the support, texts and phone calls.












1 comment :

  1. I look like I felt - stuffed. Great run Liza. Thanks for the training runs and encouragement - not forgetting Mr Marathon Man old Mick!

    ReplyDelete