BROULEE RUNNERS

BROULEE RUNNERS

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

C2Surf according to Ross

A City2Surf (C2S) is more than just the race it also involves logistics (travel, accommodation, eating) as it’s 300kms away from the Mossy Point anchor.

Part 1. Pre-Race

I travelled solo this year to C2S so drive up on Saturday morning, coffee and paper in the sun at my favourite spot in Berry, lunch in the Italian quarter at Rockdale. My inner city crash pad is no more (daughter and family have escaped the rat race to ….. Broulee) second option but further out from the city No1 son is renovating. Not wishing to be covered in builder’s dust I opt for Spartan accommodation at St. Peters Formula 1 Motel. This is near the southern end of Newton and its main street full of eating establishments. After motel check-in I drive to Race Central at Sydney Town Hall (with the rest of Sydney or so it seems) where I miraculously find a parking spot – a good omen. Buy a new visor and pickup a Westpac bag for clothing on race day. A potential time saver over the alternative offered by Sun Herald.


Then it was back to Newton. Spoilt for choice with eating venues but settle on a pasta/pizza joint in the middle of the action on King St. Good food especially the Chocolate cake with chocolate gelato (I know, I know - hardly the dinner of champions but the hippy waitress said it was organic so that had to count for something!). Next morning up and out of Formula1 by 6.45am parked in a backstreet near Victoria Park Broadway (next to Sydney Uni). Bus to city (free buses,trains,ferries for race entrants)

2. The Race
I’m standing in green group at 7.30am waiting for a 8.10am start and the sky is darking by the minute. Being whimpish, not wanting to be standing sodden until start time I retreat under cover next to Gloria Jeans in Elizabeth Street. I’m snobbish about my coffee so I’m not even tempted. Shower passes and it was the last rain seen on race day. However the course remains damp and the leafy parts along billionaire row require special care. Red group is away at 8.00am on the heals of the small elite group who are chasing the wheelchair racers (a race first).


A short time later green group is away. Electronic timing picking up each runner’s chip embedded bib (80,000 plus this year) has enabled an accurate staggering of the numerous groups at the start and seemingly less congestion along the race course. Bib checking at the start appeared to weed out many slow ‘pirates’ who appear on William St knocked up and walking making the last few C2Ss increasingly congested. By the time I cross College St the leaders have disappeared into the Kings X tunnel so I dismiss any thoughts of winning and settle in for the 14km journey. A regular distraction from the usual signs of exhaustion is T-shirt reading – an interesting pastime.

It’s overcast but not cold, a change from the fine sunny conditions which have prevailed for most of the last eighteen or so C2S. I must be pushing things a bit hard as I’m forced to walk for a 40m or so on “the hill”(chocolate cake) and 1km from the end around the back of Bondi beach (chocolate gelato). 100m from the finish the clock ‘s showing 25secs off 75mins (red group cut-off time) I put in an extra effort for a sprint to the line. I had to wait until Tuesday’s SMH for the final result!!

3. Post Race

The bus, train, bus travel to the city then on to Victoria Park flowed smoothly.
By 11am I’m in the outdoor-heated 50m pool at Victoria Park for a couple of laps. With few other swimmers at this time of the year it’s a great way to prepare for the trip home. With its own café, gym, hot showers etc this is one spot to remember for future Sydney forays.

In summary this C2S (my19th) was going to be my last due to the increasing congestion as the organisers pushed ever increasing numbers (for marketing purposes?) but I was surprised at the operation, which was also commented by other repeat runners. The free transport travel of the last few years removes the hassle of correct money/prepaid only etc. This makes choosing somewhere to stay much easier. Despite my misgivings the run, logistics of travel, accommodation, post - race swim refresher and foodfest were all enjoyable without any hiccups.

No comments :

Post a Comment