BROULEE RUNNERS

BROULEE RUNNERS

Total Pageviews

Monday, May 3, 2010

marathon talk - Liza's race report


It was a wonderful autumn morning in Canberra, with virtually no wind - perfect, absolutely perfect conditions for running. 2.1 degrees at the start of the race and a predicted maximum of 21 degrees - so the gloves were on! Deek's prep talk was encouraging and there was a good crowd, with a mix of marathon runners and half marathoners and ultra runners too. I had been up since 4am, having driven from Broulee - and was one nervous girl.


I had a fabulous run on the day and really enjoyed the whole experience. My initial plan was to run with the 3.45 pacer in my sights, however, as soon as the race started I was found my comfortable pace to be slightly quicker - so I just went with that. Around the 30km mark I was still running strongly and figured that I had a chance of finishing sub 3.40, so I pushed myself that bit further. It turned out that I ran a negative split and finished in 3.38.xx, which was beyond my expectations. I am thrilled! Running into Manuka Oval was a brilliant way to finish - the support was fanatastic and the organisation of the day was too.
Here's a shot of me with Kim, who has supported me along the way.


2 comments :

  1. Congratulations. Negative splits in marathons are rare - I have only done it once in 35 marathons - and something you will never forget!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great run. Not only a fantastic time but well placed amongst your competition. Just the beginning !!

    ReplyDelete